Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Friday, March 2, 2012

Bacon Deviled Eggs


I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of bacon.  If I see bacon in almost anything, I'm willing to try it (except for that new bacon milkshake at Jack in the Box...have you heard of it?  The thought of a bacon-flavored milkshake does not entice me one bit!).

When I saw this interesting variation of deviled eggs in my Bon Appetit magazine, I knew I had to give it a try.  Besides, it would be a perfect appetizer for the Super Bowl. 

Yes.  The Super Bowl. 

I guess that shows how behind I am in my blog posting.  I'm making recipes at a much faster rate than I can find time to post them...I think I currently have 16 draft posts right now, waiting for me to finish them, plus more in my camera, that I still need to upload to drafts.  *sigh*  This school semester is slowing down my pace, but hopefully I can get caught up soon, because I have a lot of great recipes to share!


So back to these A-MA-ZING eggs.  They are good!  REALLY good!

The recipe in the magazine stated that it makes 24 eggs.  I originally thought that would be too much for just Tony, a couple friends, and I (because I made way more food on top of that...recipes to be posted soon).  I almost made 12 deviled eggs.

12.  What was I thinking?

Luckily, at the last minute, Tony stated that I should go ahead and make the full amount.  "Just go ahead and make 24," he said.  "We can put the leftovers in the fridge and eat them tomorrow."

Leftovers?  Ha!

These things were devoured so fast, they were practically gone before the rest of the food was ready to eat.  They have all the delicious qualities of traditional deviled eggs, plus a smoky, savory flavor from the bacon.  If you like bacon, I HIGHLY encourage you to try these eggs.  And, trust me...if you're not sure, just go ahead and make the 24.  It won't be very hard to finish them!


Bacon Deviled Eggs
Print this recipe


Recipe from Bon Appetit magazine - February 2012 issue
Yield:  24 deviled eggs

Ingredients:
12 large eggs
3 slices of bacon
Butter, melted (if needed)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 heaping Tbsp chopped scallions
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish

Directions:
Place eggs in a large saucepan; add water to cover 1".  Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Drain.  Transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water and let cool completely, about 10 minutes; peel.  Halve lengthwise and remove yolks.

Coarsely chop bacon.  Cook in a medium skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp.  Transfer bacon to paper towels.  Strain drippings through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl.  Add melted butter if needed to measure 2 Tbsp.

Finely mash reserved yolks, bacon fat (and/or butter), mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and chopped scallions in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a large resealable freezer bag, then cut 1/2" off 1 corner.  Pipe into whites; garnish with sliced scallions and reserved bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment