Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Monday, March 12, 2012

St. Patty's Day Blog Hop - Shamrock Shake


Happy Monday everyone!  I'm glad you're here, because today I have a special treat for you!

About a month ago, I was contacted by Joan of Chocolate, Chocolate, and more, inviting a few other bloggers and I to join together in a St. Patty's Day blog hop.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, a blog hop is an organized event where a number of bloggers work together to post something with a unifying theme at the same day, same time, with links in each post to the other participating blogs.  Of course, I was happy to participate.  It's a great way to not only gain exposure and acquire more page views, but also to encourage a sense of community around the "blogosphere" and make new blogger-friends!

Since our theme is St. Patty's Day, we scheduled our blog hop a week in advance so that all of our readers will have plenty of time to visit everyone's posts and gain recipes and ideas in time for the holiday.  As it turns out, all of us bloggers ended up making a wide variety of foods, so there should be something for everyone.  We have savory things, sweet desserts, and my contribution, a Shamrock Shake!

Apparently, McDonald's is known for making this minty shake every year around St. Patty's Day.  I've honestly never tried the fast-food variety, but if something tastes good from a fast food chain, then it's almost guaranteed to taste even better if made at home.  Plus, I'm always a little cautious when it comes to fast food anyway...especially if it's a green milky drink, so I prefer making it myself!


Luckily, this recipe requires only a few ingredients, so you can be sure that this milkshake is pure, without any fast-food "mystery preservatives."  All you need is some vanilla ice cream, milk (I use soy milk), peppermint extract, and green food coloring.  If you want to get extra fancy, you can add some whipped cream to the top, and garnish with green sprinkles.

I'm usually not a huge fan of minty things, but the creamy flavor of the vanilla ice cream in this milkshake makes the mint subtle and enjoyable.  Also, the green food coloring only adds a hint of color, so the milkshake is pale green, similar to mint ice cream.  I think it seems much more edible than something that was tinted BRIGHT green.  If you tend to like mint-chocolate chip ice cream or grasshopper pie, I'm sure you would enjoy this refreshing milkshake.

Please visit the rest of the talented bloggers involved in today's St. Patty's Day Blog Hop:










Thanks to Joan at Chocolate, Chocolate and more for making this blog hop possible!  It's been a lot of fun and I'll be supporting everyone's blogs in the future.  

Everyone else, stay tuned, because I do have a few more St. Patty's recipes up my sleeve...for now, enjoy the recipe for the Shamrock Shake!

My dog, Molly, was in this photo so I just couldn't resist not putting it up!
Shamrock Shake
Adapted from She Knows
Yield:  2 servings

Ingredients:
1 pint (2 cups) vanilla ice cream
1 cup soy milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 tsp green food coloring
Whipped cream and green sprinkles (optional)

Directions:
Place ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and green food coloring in a blender.  Cover and blend on high speed until smooth.  

Pour into glasses.  Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.  Serve immediately.



6 comments:

  1. This looks Delicious! My twins and I love peppermint! I'm glad I was able to share this blog hop with you. <3 and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always run out to get the Mc Donald's shamrock shakes this time of year, but you've inspired me to make them myself this year. Thanks so much for posting this my new blogging friend!

    xoxo,
    ~Melissa
    www.ChinDeep.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimiko, my girls were asking just last night about a Shamrock shake, now I can make them one. I'm with you on the fast food bit. I remember, years and years ago the McD's shakes tasted like styrofoam. Turned me off fast food dairy for good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimiko,

    These look super good!! My kids will love to have these as a treat this week! The photo of your dog made me smile. If I want to get my dogs out of hiding, all I need to do is open the ice cream... they come running!! :) So nice to find you and your page through this fun blog hop!!

    Michaela - An Affair from the Hear

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty shake! I'm not a McDonald's fan, but I know lots of people who rave about the shamrock shakes this time of year. Seems just as easy to make it at home. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This shake sounds amazing~so nice to get to know you and can't wait to follow your posts!

    ReplyDelete