Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing



I'm usually not the type of person who feels compelled to make my own condiments.  Sure, making it yourself is probably always healthier, but sometimes, I just don't feel sure if it's worth the time.  Well, last month when I decided to make Buffalo wings, it ended up being convenient to make this Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. 

Tony and I are not fans of blue cheese dip, the most common dipping sauce for Buffalo wings, so we decided that ranch dip would be a much tastier option.  Ranch dressing is not something that I commonly keep in my fridge, so I initially planned on putting it on my grocery list.  However, I decided to do a little blog-searching, and found this great recipe from Cook Like a Champion.  The best part is, I had every single ingredient already in my fridge! 

It was meant to be.

This dressing is amazing; I never thought I would be so impressed with homemade ranch dressing, but I sure was wrong.  I think from now on, I would be very reluctant to purchase a bottled ranch dressing from the grocery store.  It's hard to describe the flavors of this homemade dressing, and how it compares to the store-bought kind...it's something you really need to try for yourself. 

This dressing was a perfect creamy element to the tangy Buffalo wings from yesterday's post.  I can't wait to try making this dressing again for a salad; I'm sure it'd be just as impressive.

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Recipe from Cook Like a Champion, originally from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?by Ina Garten
Yield:  3 cups

Ingredients:
3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken

Directions:
Place the scallions, basil, lemon juice, Dijon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor.  Pulse until the mixture is smooth, about 15 to 20 seconds.  Add the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.  Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to let the flavors develop.

1 comment:

  1. oohh!! yummy! I love homemade salad dressing. I just made a batch of my favorite "Lowell Inn" house salad dressing (a recipe I got out of the newspaper years ago...the Lowell Inn is a local hotel)...it's a recipe for French dressing, and I love it. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete