Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings


Before I begin, I think I should explain that pretty much all of the appetizer recipes coming up might not have the most impressive photos.  Why?  Because I made most of them last month for the Super Bowl.  I used up all the daylight while prepping everything, so had to settle with taking the photos at night before everything got eaten up!

But, I will give you my honest opinion of all of them in regards to flavor, and I can truthfully say that these wings were some of the best wings I've tasted.

And I don't even like Buffalo wings!

Yes, I'm strange, but for some reason, the slightly spicy, tangy flavor of Buffalo sauce never appealed to me...

...until now.

I should've known by the source of this recipe (Bon Appetit magazine) that this recipe would not disappoint me, but I was so certain that Buffalo wings were just not my thing.  Being the nice girlfriend that I am, I figured I'd just make half of the wings Buffalo-style (Tony's favorite), and half of another flavor (my choice, to be shared soon), so that both of us would be pleased.

What a surprise it was when I tasted one and actually liked it.  I mean, I REALLY liked it!  The flavor of the sauce was so good, without being too tangy or salty.  The flavor of sauce also paired well with the AMAZING homemade ranch dipping sauce that I served with the wings...don't worry, I'll share that recipe with you tomorrow.

The best part about these wings are that they are baked, not fried.  I was a bit worried that the baked version might compromise the traditional flavor of the fried Buffalo wings that are usually served in restaurants/bars, but this baked version tasted absolutely perfect.  I think the secret is to be sure to bake the chicken wings on a raised rack, so that the juices can drip down and allow the wings to crisp. 

I highly recommend trying this recipe the next time you are craving Buffalo wings.  It's a bit healthier than the fried version, and in terms of flavor, it's SO worth it!


Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
Print this recipe
Recipe from Bon Appetit magazine - February 2012 issue
Yield:  about 30 wings

Ingredients:
For the Buffalo sauce:
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup Frank's hot pepper sauce

For the wings:
2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
For the Buffalo sauce:
Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.  Whisk in hot sauce; keep warm.

For the wings:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet.  Place all ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat.  Place wings on prepared rack and spread out in a single layer.

Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45-50 minutes.

Toss wings in Buffalo sauce.  Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • The sauce can be made 5 days ahead.  After preparing, cover and chill.  Rewarm before using.
  • The reason why I think these wings tasted so good is because of the brand of hot sauce; Frank's.  I've heard a lot of good things about this brand of sauce, and is most likely the reason for the great flavor.  I've also used Frank's wing sauce; if you're in a pinch for time.  Just use the bottle of wing sauce instead of this sauce recipe, and the results will still be very good!
  • Since I made these for the Super Bowl, I lined my slow cooker with foil and kept the cooked Buffalo wings in it, with it on the "warm" setting.  The wings can be kept warm in the slow cooker for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment