Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pork Chops with Apples


Okay, so I know that pork chops and apples is not an entirely new phenomenon.  They go hand in hand, almost like salt and pepper, or peanut butter and jelly.  However, I think every food blog needs to post the basics, along with new, inventive recipes...and so, I present to you, pork chops with apples!

It's not the most creative recipe of all time, but it is definitely a good, classic recipe!  Plus, it came from The Pioneer Woman, so I knew it would be a success.

Have you heard of The Pioneer Woman?  Ree Drummond is the mastermind behind the blog, and now a TV show on The Food Network.  She's also the author of a cookbook, with another one on the way, so don't underestimate anything made by her!

Back to the pork chops...

These pork chops were really easy to whip up after work, and were extremely flavorful.  Ree made hers with Creamy Bacon & Cheese Grits.  I left that part of the recipe out, since I made these as a quick weeknight meal, but I'd recommend including the grits if you have time or plan ahead.  You can click the link below to access Ree's version with the grits included.

Pork Chops with Apples
Print this recipe


Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Yield:  6 pork chops

Ingredients:
6 whole boneless pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
2 whole Gala apples, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil and butter, and heat until butter is melted.

Season both sides of pork chops with salt and pepper.  Add to the skillet and brown on both sides, until nice and golden.  Remove from skillet and put pork chops on a plate and set aside.

Reduce heat to medium.  Add apples, and cook, stirring, for one minute.  Pour in wine and vinegar, then whisk, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it.  Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  Pour in the maple syrup and add a dash of salt and pepper.  Stir, then return pork chops to pan.  Cover the pan and simmer on low for 20 minutes.  Serve pork chops with sides of your choice, and spoon the apples and sauce over the top.





2 comments:

  1. I have some pork chops in the freezer I was planning on cooking this week. Instead of the usual cream of mushroom, I think I will try this variation of the apple chops instead. What kind of white wine did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preferably, a wine variation that you also like to drink is best. When it comes to whites, we like to drink Chardonnay, so that's what I would use. There are also wines bottled primarily for cooking, so those would be fine to use too. They're usually found in the cooking oils section of most grocery stores, and I believe Holland House is the brand I've used before, with good results.

      Delete