Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Oatmeal-Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies


These cookies are not your average oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.  They are BETTER!

Why?

Because they contain ground flaxseed, so these cookies are actually nutritious!


Flaxseed is high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, and has been proven to reduce blood cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL or "bad") cholesterol levels.  It doesn't have a very strong flavor, so you could throw ground flaxseed in practically anything, and never know the difference!

Ground flaxseed can be included in many baked goods, so it's no surprise that they were included in this Oatmeal-Flax Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from my Jan/Feb 2012 issue of The Food Network Magazine.


I was glad to find a cookie recipe that would provide some nutritional benefits while satisfying my sweet tooth!  These cookies have an amazing texture and buttery flavor; just what I like in my chocolate chip cookies.

I took some of these to work (where they were gobbled up in no time), and now I'm wishing I kept them for myself!  I'm craving these again!  I should have stored them in the freezer for whenever I need a quick snack.  I guess I'll just have to make them again.  DARN...   :)


Oatmeal-Flax Chocolate Chip Cookies
Print this recipe


Recipe from The Food Network Magazine - Jan/Feb 2012 issue
Yield:  about 32 cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup flaxseed, finely ground in a spice grinder, or pre-ground flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk the flour, oats, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.

Beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in the vanilla.  Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixture and beat until just combined, scraping down the bowl as needed.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.  Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.  Let the cookies cool 3 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. A cookie that's good for you? Yes, please. We'll take two. Or maybe three. Okay, fine...four!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added raisins and a bit more cinnamon. MMmmmm! My boyfriend and I approve! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete