Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chicken with Cranberry-Port Sauce


Who's ready to watch the Oscars tonight?

I am!

Well...sort of.  If we're talking about watching the celebrities walk down the red carpet, seeing the beautiful dresses, and watching Billy Crystal host the show, then I'm ready.

BUT if we're talking about having watched any nominated films and being prepared enough to predict the award winners, then no.  I am definitely not ready.

I haven't had an opportunity to watch very many movies this year.  In fact, I can't remember what the last movie I saw in a theater was.  So unfortunately, other than Bridesmaids, I haven't seen any of this year's Oscar nominees.  There are several that I want to see though--Moneyball, The Artist, The Help, and The Descendants, just to name a few.

Regardless of my lack of movie-watching, I will still be tuning in to watch The Oscars, and excited to see my favorite celebrities walk down the red carpet!

In honor of such a fancy event, it seems appropriate to share a recipe for Chicken with Cranberry-Port Sauce.  This dish is fancy in flavor and presentation, but is incredibly easy to prepare.  Best of all, it all comes together within 30 minutes!

To make this dish, simply coat the chicken breasts with bread crumbs and sear for 2 minutes on each side.  Then add the remaining ingredients and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken, and continue to cook until the mixture thickens to a sauce consistency.  And that's it!

This recipe results in a juicy, flavorful chicken breast with a perfectly sweet cranberry sauce.  It would be a great partner to various sides; I enjoyed mine alongside a serving of brown rice and Trader Joe's "Cauliflower Romanesco Basilic."  With such an easy method, it's hard to resist making it again and again.  I know I will definitely be making this recipe again soon!

Chicken with Cranberry-Port Sauce
Print this recipe


Recipe from Cooking Light magazine - Sept 2003 issue
Yield:  4 servings (4 chicken breasts)

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
Cooking spray
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 Tbsp Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup tawny port or other sweet red wine
1/4 cup cranberry-chutney
1 tsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/8 tsp dried rubbed sage

Directions:
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.  Dredge the chicken in breadcrumbs.  Add to pan, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Combine broth and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk.  Add to pan, reduce heat to medium.  Cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is done.

Remove chicken from the pan.  Bring broth mixture to a boil, and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 1 minute).  Spoon sauce over chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment