Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mom's Rice Stuffing (AKA Bacon Rice)



Here is another GREAT recipe, straight from the most special of all of my recipe sources:  my mom! 
Just a side note:  my mom's birthday was yesterday, so this is nice timing to post one of her best recipes.  (Happy Birthday, Mom!)

Over the years, my mom has spent many evenings in the kitchen, cooking dinners for our family.  It's one of the many things that I have come to appreciate, and something that is often taken for granted, but I think that it is an essential part of a good family experience.  Especially now, with such busy lives, whether it's because of our jobs, school, and for some, kids, it's very important to find the time to sit down at the table and have a nice homecooked meal with the family.

This rice stuffing recipe is very special.  It's special, not only because it's from my mom, but because this dish was only served once a year. 

Every Thanksgiving, in lieu of the traditional Stovetop stuffing, my mom would make this rice stuffing...and it is definitely a good replacement.  I used to crave this recipe all year long!  Once Thanksgiving arrived, I would pile it on my plate, and eat it with some mashed potatoes and gravy (carb-heaven!!!).  Oh, of course there was the turkey, stuffed eggs, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and sweet potatoes, but I barely noticed next to the pot of rice stuffing.  And the next day, when we would heat up all the leftovers, this rice stuffing would taste just as good as it did the day before. 



This recipe has everything I could ever want from a rice dish.  Savory bits of bacon, crunchy pieces of celery, and chopped onion, all sauteed in butter and soaking up the seasonings from a package of Lipton noodle soup.  It is to die for!  If it weren't for all of the butter, I would make this dish once a week.  I'd sit down with a bowl of it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Really, it's that good.

So although Thanksgiving may be quite a while away, I think it's worth the time and (minimal) effort to try out this recipe before then.  Besides, you should have a test run before you actally serve it for the big day.  I think it would also be a great dish for Easter dinner...that's not too far!  Maybe I'm making too many excuses for you to make this dish, but it really is worth it.

Please make and enjoy it...just don't eat the whole thing by yourself.



Mom's Rice Stuffing (AKA Bacon Rice)
Print this recipe

Ingredients:
4 cups rice (uncooked)
1 8 ounce package bacon
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3 cups diced celery
2 cups diced onions
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 packages of Lipton noodle soup (1 box)

Directions:
Prepare rice; cook according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in 12" skillet, cook bacon until crisp.  Drain on paper towels.  Crumble or chop into pieces.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.  Add celery, onions, salt, pepper, and soup mix.  Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. 
Remove celery mixture from heat.  Stir in rice and bacon pieces.  Mix well.

Notes:
  • I usually reduce the butter by a few tablespoons, just to make it slightly healthier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment