Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry


This year I made a New Year's resolution.  I know, I'm always that person who says "resolutions are dumb" and "why wait til the New Year to make a resolution," but this year, I really felt right about this one.

This year, I am going to...eat healthier!

Notice that I am keeping this resolution pretty general.  No specifics.  No "I'm going to eat vegetables every day" or "eat fish twice a week."  Those are nice, and I may actually do those...but I'd like to think that as long as I don't include specifics, then I'm not setting myself up to fail.  There are plenty of things I can do to eat healthier that don't necessarily require me to cut myself off from things I enjoy (like sweets!).

In order to fulfill my resolution, I figured the best way to start is by cooking more meals at home.  Not only will it save us money in the long run, but I think home-cooked food always tastes better, and will eliminate unwanted ingredients in our food.  Cooking with fresh, wholesome ingredients is much better than purchasing food filled with sodium, preservatives, MSG, and who knows what else.

So, as you can imagine, I was delighted when the first issue I received of The Food Network Magazine was titled "The Light Issue!"  The entire magazine was full of nutritious recipes that I could make throughout the year.  As I started planning my dinner menu for this week, I immediately noticed the Chicken & Broccolini Stir-Fry recipe.  It sounded like the perfect weeknight meal.  It was quick, easy, and healthy.  I made a few adaptations to the recipe, such as using broccoli instead of broccolini, and it turned out wonderfully.  My boyfriend said he would definitely eat it again, so it's a keeper!


Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry
Print this recipe


Adapted from The Food Network Magazine - Jan/Feb 2012 issue
Yield:  4 servings

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp egg white (about 1/2 large egg white)
1 Tbsp mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine) or dry sherry
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 bunches broccoli, stems trimmed, cut into florets
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced peeled ginger
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
4 to 5 baby bell peppers, sliced into thin rings
1 to 2 red jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup sliced almonds, or chopped cashews, toasted

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Meanwhile, whisk the egg white, mirin, and 1 Tbsp cornstarch in a medium bowl.  Add the chicken and toss to coat.  Whisk the remaining 2 Tbsp cornstarch, the oyster sauce, and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl.

Add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes.  Drain and rinse under cold water.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.  Transfer to a plate.  Increase the heat to high and add the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil.  Add the garlic and ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds.  Add the scallions and peppers; stir-fry 1 more minute.  Add the chicken, broccoli, and nuts and stir-fry 2 more minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium; whisk the oyster sauce mixture and add to the skillet.  Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment