Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Friday, January 27, 2012

Chocolate S'mores Cupcakes


In case you haven't noticed yet by reading my blog, I LOVE cupcakes!  I wish I had more excuses to make them so I could bake them more often, because let's face it:  there's no way I'm going to bake a batch of cupcakes and let them sit in our house with just Tony and I.  There's no way we could ever resist that kind of temptation!

I have a huge list of cupcake flavors I want to try.  Many of the creative cupcake flavors I've been finding have been through Pinterest (follow me!).  Specifically,  you can see my list of cupcake-related pins here.  This S'mores Cupcake recipe seemed like such a fun, creative recipe, so I was thrilled when my co-worker requested some for her daughter's boyfriend's birthday.



I'm kind of glad she requested these, because it "required" me to go out and purchase a kitchen torch.  I've always wanted one, along with a million other kitchen gadgets, so I was happy to buy one.  Since I've never used one before, I purchased a fairly inexpensive one that came in a creme brulee kit, with four small ramekins also included.

The kitchen torch was so fun to use!  I loved toasting the tops of the s'mores cupcakes.  The marshmallow frosting toasts so easily with the torch and adds such a neat looking effect to the entire cupcake.  Topped with the graham cracker square and piece of chocolate, I think these cupcakes are absolutely irresistible.  Now I can't wait to find other ways to use my new kitchen torch.  Maybe a variation of creme brulee?  Creme brulee cupcakes, perhaps?


Chocolate S'mores Cupcakes
Print this recipe


Recipe from Glorious Treats
Yield:  about 12 cupcakes (for 24, either double the recipe, or click the link above to go to Gloriuos Treats for the original recipe)

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp boiling water

For the marshmallow frosting:
2 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cupcake pan with paper liners.

In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for one minute.  Stir in boiling water (the batter with be thin, don't worry).

Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.  Bake cupcakes for approximately 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

For the frosting:
In a large heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tartar, and salt.

Set the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan and heat mixture, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is reaches 160 degrees F, about 3 minutes.

Remove bowl from the saucepan.  Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed, about 2 minutes.

In a small bowl, microwave 1 cup mini marshmallows 30 seconds to 1 minute, until puffed, and starting to melt.

Add marshmallows to mixture in electric mixer; reduce speed to low and add vanilla.  Continue beating until the marshmallows are melted and frosting is completely smooth, about 3-4 minutes.

Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.  Use a kitchen torch to brown the frosting.  Top with a piece of Hershey's chocolate and a piece of graham cracker.








No comments:

Post a Comment