Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year Peanut Cookies


Happy Chinese New Year!  Although I am not Chinese, I have been very aware of this holiday through association with some Chinese friends.  Chinese New Year is the biggest celebration in China, with families cooking and baking numerous foods and treats in the days leading up to the new year.  

In honor of the Chinese celebration, I've decided to share with you a common Chinese New Year treat:  Peanut Cookies.  If you are somewhat familiar with Chinese foods, you may recognize these crumbly, nutty cookies.  They are very popular among Chinese families, and often made during the Chinese New Year.  I got this Peanut Cookie recipe from one of my favorite food blogs:  Rasa Malaysia.  

Rasa Malaysia is a blog I read, written by Bee Linn Yow, that focuses on authentic Asian-inspired dishes.  I love trying new foods from other cultures, especially Asian cultures, so her blog is a trusted source of mine for those times when I'm feeling adventurous!  I knew I could count on her blog for Chinese New Year recipes, and I was right.  She has a multitude of recipes appropriate for the Chinese New Year, so head over to her blog if you'd like to see some other recipes.  Keep in mind that the recipes on her blog are not strictly Chinese, so even if you're in the mood for another type of Asian cuisine, she may have what you are looking for!

These Peanut Cookies are perfect for anyone who loves peanuts.  They have a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth texture, unlike most other cookie recipes.  The dough consists of mainly peanuts, flour, oil, and sugar, which contribute to this unique quality.  The best part is the aroma as they bake in the oven!  The whole house smelled like peanut butter while these were baking, so I couldn't wait to try these.  They definitely were a success, and made a great afternoon snack.  I think I'll be enjoying these again with some tea later!


Chinese New Year Peanut Cookies
Get the recipe from Rasa Malaysia - click here

No comments:

Post a Comment