Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Monday, November 14, 2011

Ground Beef Taco Bowls



I have a confession to make.  One that may make you think I'm strange, or make you think that maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to food, because I do something some people think is really odd...but I'll let you be the judge.

I put ketchup on my tacos.  Not salsa.  Ketchup.

There. I said it. 

Is it really THAT weird?  Because my boyfriend seems to think so.  But...people put tomatoes in their tacos, right?  So isn't ketchup just an adaptation of that?  

Someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who does this...



The reason why I'm telling you about my strange habit is because sometimes I just get a strong craving for tacos, so instead of getting those unhealthy-but-oh-so-good deep-fried 99 cent Jack in the Box tacos (which unfortunately, is on my way home) I'll stop by the store and pick up one of those ready-to-eat roast chickens, and simply shred the meat and make myself homemade chicken tacos (with ketchup).  And it definitely makes me feel healthier...

...but...

...sometimes I don't want chicken tacos.  I want the ground beef goodness, with all the flavor and spices!  I suppose I could grab one of those taco seasoning packages at the grocery store, which is easy but also full of sodium and other unhealthy add-ins.  So, instead I make my own ground beef taco meat.  It is a million times better than the seasoning packet kind, and makes me forget about those Jack in the Box tacos.  The next time you're craving tacos, or just need to make a quick, simple dinner, make it a taco night and try this recipe.  Trust me, this homemade ground beef taco meat is satisfying and gooooooood!  




Ground Beef Taco Bowls

Recipe slightly adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Yield:  Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp canola oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 pound ground beef
1 to 3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)

Taco shells or bowls
Additional taco garnishes 

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and chopped onion.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 4-5 minutes.  Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat, until cooked through and no longer pink, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain the remaining grease.  

Return the skillet to the stove and add garlic and dry seasonings.  Stir and cook for about 30 seconds and then add the tomato sauce and jalapeno, if using.  Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve in taco shells with your choice of toppings.

Notes:
  • The tacos pictured have ground beef taco meat, black beans, fire roasted corn, shredded lettuce, and Mexican blend shredded cheese.  Tomatoes would be a great addition too and would add beautiful color, but I didn't have any at the time...but I DID have ketchup. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment