Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bacon, Mushroom, & Spinach Quiche


Wow, I can't believe that it's almost Thanksgiving!  School has been busier than ever, so these last few weeks have been such a blur to me.  I started a new pre-nursing dosage calculation class a couple weeks ago, so I've had a lot of math on my mind lately, but luckily I've been able to squeeze in quite a few recipes.  That means that I've got a lot of posts coming up throughout the next few weeks so get ready!  To start, let's go back to a couple Sundays ago, when I made this delicious bacon, mushroom, and spinach quiche.

My boyfriend came up with the idea to make a quiche after a morning of watching football.  This was a great idea for two reasons.  #1:  Tony LOVES quiche...and so do I.  #2:  I had some extra veggies in the fridge that I needed to use up, so throwing them in this quiche recipe was a great solution.  I was able to throw this quiche together in about 15 minutes, and return to watch the game while it baked in the oven.  After 40 minutes of baking, this quiche was ready to eat.  The edges of the crust were crisp and golden brown in color, and the egg filling was cooked to a perfect, firm texture.

The combination of bacon, eggs, cheese, and veggies results in a very satisfying mid-day meal. This recipe is a great go-to quiche recipe, and is very adaptable to whatever veggies you have leftover in your own kitchen.  Since I wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of time in the kitchen that day, I used a store-bought pie crust, but you can definitely use a homemade crust recipe if you have the time!  I will probably update this post with my own crust recipe if I make it in the future, but for now, enjoy the simplified version.



Bacon, Mushroom, & Spinach Quiche
Print this recipe


Recipe adapted from Picky Palate
Yield:  8 servings

Ingredients:
1 refrigerated 9-inch pie crust
1/2 pound chopped bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
4 oz sliced mushrooms
4 oz fresh baby spinach
8 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a 9-inch pan with pie crust.  Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of the crust and partially bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon, stirring until browned, about 10 minutes.  Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate and discard drippings.  Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 10 minutes.  Add mushrooms and spinach, and cook for about 5 more minutes, until mushrooms are tender and spinach is wilted.  Remove from heat.

Add eggs, milk, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and whisk to combine.  Add cooked bacon, onions, mushrooms, spinach, and about half of the shredded cheese to the egg mixture and mix together.  Pour egg mixture into pie crust, and sprinkle the remaining cheese and parsley on top.  Bake for 40 minutes, or until edges are golden and center of quiche is firm.  Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing.

Notes:

  • I apologize for my so-so quality pictures.  Since I made this quiche later in the day, the lighting wasn't very good for food photography.  I contemplated even posting this recipe, but it was so delicious that I had to share, good quality photos or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment