Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hummingbird Cupcakes



When I first saw this cupcake recipe on Annie's Eats, I had no idea what kind of cupcake to expect.  The name, "Hummingbird Cupcake," was very unfamiliar to me.  However, after reading through the ingredients list, I discovered that it sounded like something I would definitely enjoy!  Plus, I've tried many cupcake recipes from Annie's Eats, and none have ever disappointed me, so I knew that this recipe would be no exception.

This cupcake consists of a blend of banana, pineapple, shredded coconut, and chopped walnuts, giving it a fruity, slightly tropical flavor.  The addition of cream cheese frosting blends perfectly with these flavors, resulting in a sweet, delightful cupcake!

I made these cupcakes to bring to work (in honor of my supervisor's belated birthday) to share with co-workers, so I decided to make half of the batch with walnuts, and half without.  I also experimented with the topping, garnishing some with toasted shredded coconut, and some with toasted chopped walnuts.  Out of the two, I preferred the "with-nuts" version, but they taste great either way!

Although my method was simpler and quicker, I really like the idea Annie used to decorate her cupcakes.  She actually used fresh pineapple to make beautiful dried pineapple flowers (see her photos and the "how-to" here).  When I make these again (and I will!) I would like to try making the flowers.  They really add an elegant touch to the appearance of the cupcake, and make them look so fancy!



Hummingbird Cupcakes

Recipe from Annie's Eats
Yield:  about 24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
For the cupcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
11 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas
2/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I used sweetened, but reduced the sugar to a little over 1 cup)

For the frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted

Directions:
For the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare cupcake pan with paper liners.  In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Whisk together and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, vanilla, and sugar, until well blended and smooth.  Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Add the mashed bananas and mix until combined.  With the mixer on low speed, gradually add in the dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Gently fold in the pineapple, nuts (optional), and coconut with a spatula until evenly mixed. 

Divide the batter into cupcake liners, filling each about 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the frosting:
Combine the cream cheese and butter in a bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth (about 2-3 minutes).  Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.  With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the confectioner's sugar until incorporated.  Increase the speed and beat until smooth.  Frost cooled cupcakes, and decorate as desired.  

*Depending on how much frosting you use, you may need to increase the recipe.  If you decide to pipe on your frosting like I did, I recommend increasing the frosting recipe by 50%.  



No comments:

Post a Comment