Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Panko Crusted Salmon



These last few weeks have been going by way too fast.  I can't believe my summer is halfway over and to be honest, I'm dreading my eventual return to "normal life." Seriously, can't I just live in my kitchen FOREVER? Because that's exactly what I've been doing these last few weeks; making dinner every night, trying out new recipes, and baking here and there.

During my last semester of school, I was so busy I didn't have time to cook or bake, or even have the time to think about missing it, but now I am so immersed in my kitchen routine I don't know how I'm going to adjust when late-August rolls around.  While I dread the inevitable, I will try to be better at posting my food sooner, although I definitely have some catching up to do!

This salmon is a simple yet healthy dish that can be easily prepared within 30 minutes.  As I may have mentioned before, Tony and I both love salmon, so last week when I needed to make something quick and healthy for dinner, this recipe was a no-brainer.  This was actually the second time I've made this recipe so that should speak for itself--I don't repeat recipes very often unless they are exceptionally pleasing, and this one pleased us both.

This recipe, originally from Ina Garten (LOVE her), consists of a salmon filet lightly brushed with Dijon mustard and then coated with a panko-lemon zest mixture.  The salmon is then seared on a skillet and transferred to the oven to finish cooking.  The results?  A piece of salmon that flakes perfectly, with a toasted crunchy panko coating, with a bright kick of lemon.  It's simple, but in the best possible way.

I must also mention that this has mustard, and Tony, the biggest mustard-hater I know, eats it!  That in itself is a miracle, although I never actually told him so I don't think he even knows...but I think I'll keep it that way. ;)


Panko Crusted Salmon
Print this recipe
Yield:  4-6 servings
Recipe from How Easy Is That? by Ina Garten

Ingredients:
2/3 cup panko
2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3-4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
4 (6-8 oz.) salmon fillets, skin on
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  In a small bowl, combine the panko, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper.  Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil and toss with a fork until the crumbs are evenly coated; set aside.

Place the salmon fillets skin side down on a work surface.  Generously brush the top of each fillet with the mustard and then season with salt and pepper.  Press the panko mixture thickly on top of the mustard on each fillet to help the panko adhere.

Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch oven-safe skillet.  When the oil is hot, add the salmon fillets, skin side down, and sear for 3-4 minutes without turning to brown the skin.

Transfer the pan to the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, until the salmon is almost cooked through and the panko is browned.  Remove from the oven, cover with foil and let rest 5-10 minutes.  Serve warm with fresh lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment