Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins



Hello all!  What a busy July last month was!  I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted a new recipe here.  With my nursing class over the summer and preparations for the first clinical semester, my schedule has been jam-packed with assignments, appointments, and physicals.  Over this past month, I had to order and exchange my nursing uniforms, get a background check, take a drug test, register for ati (online nursing education system), take my respirator fit test, go to a CPR class to become CPR-certified, get my physical, get my immunizations and titers, and take the 2-step TB test.  All of these things were so time-consuming, and I had to fit these appointments in between work hours, my summer class, and school assignments...but I can thankfully say I'm DONE!

...Well, almost.  I still have class on Monday and my final on Wednesday, but after turning in my last major project yesterday, I already feel so much relief!  Once the semester is over, I get two weeks off and then, like I've been telling everyone, I basically will have no life for the next two years!  For the first half of the semester, I will have classes Monday through Friday, and also will have to fit my work hours within that schedule.  Once the second half of the semester starts, I'll start going to the hospital to get the real hands-on experience...that will be fun, but so tiring!

Needless to say, I will be incredibly busy, but even so, I'm super excited to start the Fall semester.  Since I'll have some time these next few weeks, I hope I can post a lot of recipes to make up for my future absence here on the blog.  (Don't worry, I'll still be here maintaining the blog, but definitely no guarantees my posts will be frequent).

So, for today's recipe, I'm going to share a zucchini muffin recipe that I made last week.  One of my co-workers at work has a zucchini garden, and was nice enough to share some of his fresh zucchinis with my supervisor and I.  I, of course, was thrilled; I love any type of homegrown vegetable, especially zucchini.  However, I knew that Tony would not be as excited.  Tony's not a big fan of zucchini.  He won't even eat it in traditional zucchini bread...something I love!  

Although I was happy with eating them myself, I felt a little bad that Tony couldn't enjoy them the way I could, so I decided to search for a zucchini recipe he might like.  It didn't take long for me to stumble on this muffin recipe from Tracey's Culinary Adventures.  Shredded zucchini, cocoa powder, AND chocolate chips, all packed into a muffin?  This was exactly what I was looking for.  Sure, it probably isn't the healthiest muffin, and with all this chocolate, I don't even know if I would consider it a good breakfast choice...but these muffins are a great afternoon snack!  Best of all, Tony enjoyed them, despite the fact that they were made with zucchini!



Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Yield:  about 12 muffins
Recipe from Tracey's Culinary Adventures, originally from Gourmet, September 2009 (on epicurious)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 lb zucchini, coarsely grated (about 1 cup, or 1 small zucchini) 
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla on medium speed until thick and creamy, about 2 minutes.  With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.  Use a rubber spatula to fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips (batter will be VERY thick, don't be alarmed).

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared liners.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing them to the rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment