Home     About Me     Recipes     Blogs I Read     Contact

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cornmeal Pancakes



It's April...already?!?  First, let me apologize for the long break between posts; life has just been non-stop busy lately.  Between my relationship, school, work...I haven't had much free time to relax, let alone update this blog!  Last week I submitted my application for my school's nursing program, so I'm crossing my fingers, hoping I get in.  The frustrating part is that the school won't make a final decision until JUNE, so that's 3 months of waiting anxiously for a response.  In the meantime, I've also been pretty preoccupied with my current semester.  This week I've been studying like crazy for my mid-term exam, which I finally took on Wednesday.  That means no more studying, more time relaxing/posting, and...it's now my spring break!


I'm really looking forward to having absolutely no plans this weekend.  I feel like it's been quite a while since I've had a real break, so I'm eager to enjoy my free time.  One special thing I like about weekends are quiet, relaxing mornings.  I enjoy sleeping in and doing things at my own leisurely pace.  I also look forward to enjoying a nice, home-cooked breakfast; something I can't always enjoy when I'm in a hurry to leave the house in the morning. 

Although I usually try to include some type of protein in every meal, every once in a while, I give in to my natural cravings and go for my favorite:  carbs!  And what better breakfast carb is there than pancakes?  These cornmeal pancakes are extremely delicious and comforting.  Although most pancakes tend to get soggy, the addition of cornmeal in this pancake recipe provides nice texture and flavor.  I thought these pancakes were absolutely delicious and I now prefer them over traditional pancakes.  Paired with a slight drizzle of pure maple syrup, this is the perfect weekend breakfast.  I'm looking forward to enjoying these again tomorrow morning!

*Also, be sure to check back tomorrow morning for my next post--we held another cupcake sale at my work yesterday, so I'll be sharing the details along with the recipe for one of the two cupcake flavors!  You won't want to miss it!


Cornmeal Pancakes
Print this recipe
Yield:  4 servings
Recipe from Simple Bites

Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup whole milk
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
Whisk together flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, milk, butter and egg.

Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined (mixture will be lumpy).

Heat a griddle or large cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Grease lightly with butter.

Spoon batter onto griddle 1/3 cup at a time.  Cook until edges are set, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Flip, and cook until golden brown, about 2 more minutes.  Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter to griddle and keeping prepared pancakes warm on a baking sheet in the oven.

Serve immediately with your preferred choice of syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment